Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Hitchhiker's Guide To Hollywood

I hope Douglas Adams isn't spinning in his grave as I borrow the common phrase his great novel helped coin, but I feel I must say that there is one unlikely text among all those that I've read which serves as possibly the greatest lessons and provides the best inside information about the goings on behind the scenes at Hollywood.

I have it as a First Edition, when it was published back in 1994.

Over at Mania, The Movie Lord and I have made mention how we absolutely swear by this text.

And this oddly informative test is none other than William Shatner's "Movie Memories."

Yes, that Shatner.

Kirk himself.

Why was Trek I such a disaster, even if it was so profitable? What famous comedian was to be cast in Star Trek 4? Just what the hell was Bill thinking when he came up with the plot for Trek 5?

These are a few questions that are answered, but they're just the edge of the tip of the iceberg.

There's lots of studio glad handing, back stabbing, political maneuvering, people being fired, people quitting, people being rehired and others being unceremoniously kicked aside to make room at the top so the talent could get on with it.

And that's just "Trek 1."

But it is exceptionally informative, and should be read by anyone who wants to go out to the Dream Factory so they'll know beforehand that dreams are pre-formed and manufactured.

It really is a cautionary tale, unfortunately.